Everest

I used to be really into the fine dining scene. Name a fine dining restaurant in Chicago, or better yet, across the world, and chances are I have been there. But, surprisingly, last week was my first visit to Everest. My husband thought it would be a nice surprise after our busy move the week before.

As far as fine dining restaurants go, unless the restaurant if completely outstanding in every aspect (food, dining, decor/ambience), and the restaurant somehow sets it self apart from the crowd, after awhile, most of them start to seem exactly the same.

All in all, I thought the service was great. Not the best I have ever had, but great. This is to expected in restaurants like Everest.

The decor. Absolutely horrible. I know some people say the setting does not matter, but I think it does, especially if you are spending this kind of money. The entire place just looks kind of drab and outdated. This restaurant prides itself on being romantic but with this setting, I just don't think it is. Sure, the view is nice, but, believe it or not, some girls don't care about view. And, this restaurant is in Chicago afterall. If you are talking about view, I rather be gazing down at beautiful mountains or serene beaches, not buildings in Chicago that I have to walk by everyday to get to work. And the ambience was not helped by the fact that a spider was dangling from a spider web from above our table.


The food. It was outstanding, better than the food I have had at other fine dining restaurants in Chicago, but not the best. The sea scallops were my favorite! And, of course, the dessert!! But the food does not make up for the other aspects the restaurant is lacking in.


As far as fine dining in Chicago, I think you are better off going somewhere else for a more unique and memorable experience.....Everest just doesn't do anything to make itself stand apart from the crowd. I would recommend Alinea for the spectacular presentation of the food, Charlie Trotter's for service that goes above and beyond, or Arun's for fine dining Thai....the list goes on.

No comments: